3.04.2012

40 Days Fit - Day 12

A friend asked me this weekend to provide some running tips for those that are just getting into it. Writing a condensed version of how I think people should start is difficult, so I'm breaking it up, getting into running gear basics for now.

Running isn't easy - it takes some mental strength, physical endurance, and a constant love-hate relationship. But, it is something you will never regret starting. It can be picked up anywhere, you can do it wherever, and you can brag about it a bit (think shirts, medals, swag bags... ). This morning was the InTown 10K, and I can definitely say having the right gear helped me beat my PR (personal record). More on this race to come.

To start off, you need the right shoes. I've tried just about every brand, starting with Nike to Asics to Mizunos and currently Brooks. I've completely fallen in love with the Ravenna 2 by Brooks. They are lightweight, provide the right support FOR ME and I've purchased them for my past 3 pairs. The best way to find the right shoe is to go to a running specialty store, where they may (and should) put you on a treadmill to watch you run. Then they bring out several recommendations for you based on what they observed. Don't pick the prettiest pair, pick the one that feels right FOR YOU. They are all going to be reliable options, but go with the best feel. You'll be in them, a lot, and you want to feel comfortable.
I also recommend investing in some actual athletic clothes - sweat wicking, compression, light-weight: These are all good options. If you are running in a normal t-shirt, especially during the summer and longer runs, you will quickly regret your cotton decision. Don't forget the right socks too. They are part of the "right" running wardrobe, and anything you can use to help your feet is something you should invest in.

Some additional investments I've made that have never proven me wrong: Spibelt, watch (just straight up time for me - I haven't gone fancy yet with a Garmin or lap watch, that's next), and FuelBelt. The Spibelt is great for shorter races and when you need to have your keys or phone. You can put a few things in it, and the items don't bounce around. Think of it as a helpful fanny pack. A lot of times during training, you are running based on time rather than distance, and having a watch for this is necessary.
Finally, there is the FuelBelt. It is nerdy, but for really long runs, it helps you so much. Being able to have water or powerade on your run is necessary. I used this a lot when I was running for 2 or more hours a day training for my marathon. I have YET to bring it out again though since I have kept under that distance as I am only training for a half.
Here is the FuelBelt disclaimer: DO NOT WEAR IT TO A RACE!! You will look ridiculous. They have water stations - use them. Many longer races also have powerade stations - use them. Do not bring your FuelBelt, or I and other runners will make fun of you behind your back, seriously. FuelBelts are great, but only in the right situation.

Any other equipment questions? Feel free to ask! I really do enjoy sharing what I use (and don't use).


1 comment:

  1. I wear Ravenna 2's! I think I'm going to try something different since I think I need a little more support, but they're very comfortable, and cute too :)

    ReplyDelete